Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Guns

 Guns protect people, guns kill people and guns are hobbies. I am going to talk about guns. When I was a kid, I a had a step brother who was obsessed with all things army. Especially guns. We would have to take trips to Army surplus stores like they were toy stores. His hobby was imposed on the rest of us kids, even my sister and I. Due to the fact I was born an adult and knew he was mentally ill, and the fact I was a GIRL, I was not amused with this forced upon past time. He had toy guns, he had real guns. He would shoot his real ones in the yard, or worse yet, shoot his fake one at us, indoors, all the time as part of a charming game he made up called..."guns." Guns, the game, was basically hide and seek with a twist. You would hide, with your gun, and he would come find you and shoot you. You could try and defend yourself and shoot him first, but that wasn't possible in his mind.  The game itself was painful enough, so we would just go along with whatever he said. We were normal, he was a whack-a-doo. Sometimes he would make us carry other army equipment. Maybe a shovel, maybe a canteen. All heavy and real. Except the guns. I hated this game because like I said, I am a GIRL. So one day I got really, really brave. I tied ribbons to my gun and adorned it with Lisa Frank unicorn stickers. Then instead of my gov't issued shovel or canteen  (literally) I loaded my military belt with my Loves Baby Soft, and my sister's bottle of Eclamation. (A very mature, very strong drugs store brand perfume from the early 90's) When psycho brother came to "kill" me, I pulled out my perfume and aimed it, while proclaiming, "I don't believe in guns!"
So as a kid, I had sense about me that made me superior. Fast forward to adulthood in 2013, and people still want to play with their guns like a bunch of psychos. Look, I am not trying to eliminate guns, I am too lazy to care that much one way or another--but what grinds my ass is people who want their gun hobby no matter what, and would be willing to fight to the death in a mere argument about guns that still in no way is actually going to take their mf'ing gun away from them. It's just your freaking hobby, you ass clowns! If someone told me that my hobby of making homemade greeting cards from magazine clippings, ransom letter style, was killing people, sure I'd be sad to have to give it up, but I would do it to save a life. Even if it is my right to cut out pictures of Honey Boo Boo and glitter and glue it to construction paper--I'd at least be willing to discuss the alternatives.
And yes this comparison is the same. Exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment